You can receive through us data for your own use if you are engaged in the secondary use of health and social data and the data is being compiled from several different registers.
We are responsible for data permits, data requests and data delivery in cases where the data is being combined from multiple controllers from the following list:
- Public and private service providers of social welfare and health care
- Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare (does not apply to data collected for statistical purposes)
- Social Insurance Institution of Finland (benefits and prescriptions)
- Data saved in Kanta services (from the start of 2021)
- Finnish Centre for Pensions (work and earnings data, benefits and the bases for them)
- National Supervisory Authority for Welfare and Health Valvira
- Finnish Medicines Agency Fimea
- Finnish Institute of Occupational Health (occupational illnesses, exposure tests and patient registers)
- Regional state administrative agencies (matters relating to social welfare and health care)
- Population Register Centre (individual’s basic details, family relations, place of domicile and building details)
- Statistics Finland (to the extent that access is required to data covered by the act on the investigation of the causes of death).
NB! Findata does not issue permits for the data of all controllers. More details on these data restrictions can be found in the Secondary Data Act.
Controllers create data descriptions for their register content so that those requiring data are able to assess the suitability of the register’s data for secondary use. We are initiating cooperation with controllers to standardise data descriptions. At present, controllers’ data descriptions can be found on the controllers’ own websites.
The data descriptions of the following controllers have been published in the Data Catalogue developed jointly by the Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare, the Finnish Social Science Data Archive, and Sitra:
- Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare (THL)
- Finnish Centre for Pensions
- Social Insurance Institution of Finland
- Statistics Finland
- Southwest Finland Hospital District.
Link: Data Catalogue (only in Finnish, opens in a new window)